Saturday, March 10, 2007

CC1 Week 2




The first thing I did was record, using creative audio creator, about 1 and a half minutes of paper noises. Flapping, scrunching, un-scruntching, ripping, twisting etc. Then I selected 6 of the best noises I could find and manipulated them as follows.
The first noise was a twisting noise that I found in the first third of the recording. That goes for about 1 second. It is reminiscent of the sound that windows makes when emptying the recycling bin.

The second thing I did was resample it so it was just under twice its original length. I.e. the duration and the pitch were affected. Then I changed the pitch down and up over time using the pitch bender (as seen in the screen shot).

The Final sound created was done by a final consistent pitch shift up, unchanging over time, to a very high pitch. It creates a similar sound to an internet modem logging on to the internet. I found it amazing how many sounds you could create and sample from this, just from simple adjustments to the waveform of something as primitive as paper.

Check out the sound at http://h1.ripway.com/loudman/PaperSound1Final.mp3

The second sound was created from scrunching the paper. Once again this sound goes for about 1 second. I then slowed it down, without changing pitch, by 18%. (See below).




This created a few interesting sounds, but it was the middle portion that I found the most interesting. This sounds like someone chewing on crunchy food or a footstep in gravel. This sound was not as difficult to create as the first, but I believe that no more alteration is required. This sound I could use for other assignments in the years to come.

Check out the sound at http://h1.ripway.com/loudman/PaperSound2Final.mp3

The third sound was a slow ripping of the paper. I then reversed this sample. After this I re-sampled the wave by stretching it which made it longer and slower. This is where the reversed waveforms show themselves more prominently and, because it was re-sampled drastically, it sounds like a moving block. It sounds almost exactly like you're moving a sandstone block in one of the early Tomb Raider games.

Check out the sound at http://h1.ripway.com/loudman/PaperSound3Final.mp3

The fourth sound started off as a flapping sound of the paper. I then reversed this sound to enhance the flapping (trailing wave forms enhance/create flapping sounds). From here, using pitch bending over time, I started at a very low pitch and gradually moved up to a very high pitch. Although this is not the case, it sounds as if the sample is getting quicker. This creates a very eerie, almost horror movie, sound that I describe by an evil wind with a mind of its own. I will definitely be using this sample in the future.



Check out the sound at http://h1.ripway.com/loudman/PaperSound4Final.mp3

The fifth sound I used Peak LE. I used a sample of sound where the paper was being waggled in an almost rhythmic fashion. I then simply added a ridiculous pitch shift and a low rendering quality to create this sound. (See Photo below)


I can’t think of anything that this sounds like, but I think it just sounds cool.

Check out the sound at http://h1.ripway.com/loudman/PaperSound5Final.mp3

The sixth and final sound I used Audacity, which I preferred for this assignment (that is apart from Adobe Audition which I know quite well). I grabbed a long sound of the paper crackling under all the folds that had been made previously. I then changed the re-sampled it to a slower rate, to -66% (from Audacity) (see below).

I then boosted the bass to a maximum. (See below)



And finally I changed the pitch down 33%. This final sound is a very loud, deep windy sound that could be used for thunder, or even the crackling of gunfire in the distance. I.e. from WW2 computer games.





Check out the sound at http://h1.ripway.com/loudman/PaperSound6Final.mp3

What I’ve learnt from and am amazed by this assignment is that simple alteration to sound wave and samples from things as basic as paper can create such interesting and useful sounds.











No comments: