Tuesday, November 13, 2007

AA1 Major Assignment



Mixing in 5.1 is great. it opens up the world of 3D positioning and this further enhances creative possibility. It is a look into the world of film and game sound design and this i find very interesting.


It was my objective to create a sound scape that would put u into where I was sitting when I recorded the original ‘real’ sound scape and I believe I’ve done that quite successfully. With the exception of one sound, this being the creaking fence, they all quite closely resemble the sound of the original source, be they hyper real or not. I approached this from a highly atmospheric point of view. My sound scape choice is not very busy and doesn’t contain many sounds. So each sound had to be significantly different and most importantly individual.

The first step was analysing the sounds and breaking them down into simple elements that are easy to synthesise, then tweak from there. Wind sounds like a slow AM noise generator. Birds sound like random high frequencies played in short bursts. A door creak and metal creak sound like a high frequency quickly turning on and off. A car sounds like a low hum gradually increasing frequency over time. And finally a plane sounds very similar. The only two sounds I left out from my original analysis were people talking and the music I heard. I left the talking out because the human voice is almost impossible to synthesise and the music because any synthesis I created would actually be music and this wasn’t the objective of the assignment.

In the original recording you heard microphone rumble of the wind and also the recorder running. These sounds I left out because they were sounds created by the limitations of the recording equipment and do not represent any sounds of the environment that I was trying to recreate.

After finally figuring out the temperamental 5.1 system and got it working relatively consistently I set to work with my sounds. With the sound list in one hand and the panner in the other I placed all the sounds in their positions and began tweaking the sounds. For example, using different and sometimes multiple bird call samples, creating an individual sound for each car driving past, volume and distance control, moving automation for the aeroplane and finally adding EQ and effects such as reverb to a few tracks that needed more atmosphere and reality.

Overall I am totally happy with my final result. It fits the criteria and ultimately puts you in the landscape. I am also proud of the fact that I created the majority of these sounds using Plogue synthesis, very little sampling was done to achieve my sound scape.
Listen to my soundscape by navigating the BOX widget.

3 comments:

Darren S said...

MP3 should be here, not surround.

Darren S said...

Was looking forward to hearing it.

Freddie said...

Yea. Stop worrying about your hair.