Tuesday, November 13, 2007

CC1 Major Assignment




CC performance

Add to My Profile More Videos

This assignment has opened my eyes to the world of electronic performance. Seeing and listening to people perform electronic pieces in one thing, but actually doing it yourself is another. There are things that are easier than you thought and others that are much harder and even more that you didnt even know existed.


Programs Used: Recorder - Adobe Audition, Sampler - VST VELOCITY through Cakewalk Project 5, Routing/Mixing/ReWire Master – Plogue Bidule, Looper/Sound Modification – Live 6.0.10

My project is an electronic exploration of the sound of an electric guitar. It was my aim, and I believe that I have done this quite successfully, to create a groove from only the sounds of a guitar. This includes drums, bass/riff and chords. This I have done. I created my work by first exploring the sounds of an electric guitar. The initial sound, the kick drum, I sampled from heavily palm muted low tones, and I wanted to try to get the performer to create a timbre that would produce little or no audible frequency, this is very difficult to do, however my final performance produced a result suitable for the task.

I would like to mention at this point that the idea behind my project is that my handed up result will be almost identical to the real time performance, little post production has been done on my final work. And any post production can be reproduced in the performance. In the case of this assignment the only post production I undertook was putting an EQ on the sampled chords and a little gain reduction to reduce some clipping. Nothing apart from this was done as to accurately represent a performance of the piece. The Video that I’ve included in the package is an accurate representation of the true performance. The high quality sample is there to present these results in a higher quality and hence is much shorter than the video.

This kick drum I then transposed down to make the tone even bassier. I originally added a reverb to widen this sound, however, I found that this only made it muddier and would only work on rare occasions due to lucky recordings.

The next step in the performance was to create the snare sound. Once again heavily palm muted strings, this time, however, on the high strings. I then transposed this sound up and added a very wide and open reverb to give it that snare snapping sound and make it more realistic.

The final step in creating a drum groove was the Hi Hat. This took a bit of time to figure out. Eventually I settled on using the scratching of the pick against the woven strings. This I then transposed up an extreme amount, added a slight EQ to make it sound more natural and give it a bit of ‘snap.’

The last easy step was simple adding the riff recorded earlier. Now the groove is complete.

To add my own flavour I put the 4 chords recorded earlier into a sampler and played them on my keyboard. In addition to this I asked the performer to improvise over this.

Both Project 5 and Live’s main outputs have been routed to the rear left and right of my PC. This is where my headphones will be plugged in. The aux busses of these programs have been routed to the front left and right. This is where the house speakers will be plugged in.
My project sets up a ground work to begin with then opens up the piece up to improvisation.
Watch the performance at the top of the page, or listen to it with the BOX widget.