Thursday, October 30, 2008

Forum Week 12

In response to Dave's question of relevance in tech subjects, i have to disagree with him. Although i don't have much interest in many of the forms of electronic music that i have been exposed to in the course, it is my ability to say that i understand, at least fundamentally, the particular style(s) of music/sound art and have decided that it's not for me. But their place in history and the influence they have on today's electronic art world is undeniable and to not be at least made aware of it would be an incomplete education of the subject. But more specifically the question of composing these styles of music. For me i didn't really find the tasks very engaging, however, as Stephen said, it is in doing that you learn the most, and i certainly did. I totally agree that without doing your education is incomplete. And although integrating these techniques into something that you would enjoy and more likely do in the future of your music career is a good idea. It doesn't give you the pure fundamentals of the art. To compose a late romantic piano concerto, you need to know how to write a classical piano sonata.

It may seem that I'm brown nosing, as Sanad has mentioned to me many a time, I truly do believe this. And although a lot of this avant-garde art is too incomprehensible for my closed mind, the fact that I've been exposed to and had it explained and still walked out less than inspired by it. I can at least not make ignorant, at least i like to think so, judgement of it.

No comments: