Wednesday, May 2, 2007

CC1 Week 7


http://www.mydatabus.com/public/loudman/z/Samplingsounds2.mp3

This task was something that i have always wanted to do, but never had the programs to achieve it. I thought that it was a lot of fun. However, although fun, i don't see myself using this in my lifetime, in a performance or compositional piece (i may be wrong though).

I had no issues with splicing the sounds and creating loop points, but i did have problems with separating the sounds over the keyboard. To overcome this issue i loaded a previous preset (in my case "Acoustic Bass") and altered the timbres within the preset to my audio files. The next issue i had was using the keyboard. I tested the connection to the computer by playing around with the ports and i found that there was a signal getting to the computer, it was just "Reason" wasn't receiving them. After discussing the issue with Sanad, he told me that the preferences in "Reason" (which i had been looking for in 'Options' previously) was actually under the toolbar entitled "Reason." With these issues now overcome it was down to the actual recording.

After changing the envelopes to a setting where the sound continuously played i was ready to go. As you can hear in my recording i used a large tonal range. The constant beat of the low sample as a reference point. I then continued to play with the idea of sounds moving out of sync because of the slight change in loop duration. This idea follows throughout.

This i can see is a very effective performance technique and technology, however i don't see myself using this in my lifetime.

Using Reason Adapted for Digidesign.

1 comment:

Sanad said...

The use of loops were good I think. Apart from that, you provided sort-of a background and kept other things going on over it. It sounded more natural than some others' which to me personally is good. Best of luck.